Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Support Forum

Welcome! Support Forums have been reactivated
Welcome the Technical Support section. Help us in assisting you by providing us with a concise and descriptive elaboration of your issues. Be specific and if possible, provide us with a step-by-step instruction in replicating your problem.

Dont see extension JS to uninstall

9 years 9 months ago
    Topic Author
  • EVAN
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

Hi,

I need some help with the following.
My JS is not working properly and I want to reinstall it ( I dont see some icons in the backend and uploading picts dont work)
But the funny thing is that when I want to deinstall it in Joomla I dont see it as an extension. And therefor cant uninstall it.

This started to happen after trying to upgrade from 2.6 to 2.8. I think the upgrade didnt go well.

If there is a way of resolving the icons en picts problem without reinstalling 2.8 I would like to know aswell.

How can I solve this problem? I will give you access needed for the site.

Greetings,

Evan

9 years 9 months ago
Licenses:

Hi, Evan.

You use outdated and unsupported version of JomSocial.
In order to receive support, please update to current version -> JomSocial 3.2.0.7

If, for some reason, you can't upgrade, then you could ask professional developer for help: www.jomsocial.com/jomsocial-developers

- Instead of saying: 'it's not working', explain the problem in detail.
- Screenshots with the URL visible in them and the problem marked are more than welcome.
- Tell us how to replicate the problem, we can't fix it if we can't find it.
- Make sure that your site/server meets JomSocial System Requirements
- Make sure to setup JomSocial Cron Job
- Always provide us with access details to the backend and ftp. We need it to debug problems.
- If you have a similar problem, but a solution you found isn't working, open a new thread instead of 'merging' with an existing one.

- Use the "Thank You" feature on any post that helped you
9 years 9 months ago
    Topic Author
  • EVAN
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

Huhh, so I upgrade my license for nothing? The only purpose for upgrading my license was to get support
I asked this in an earlier email. Why couldnt you have told me this before?

Cant you have a look at what is going wrong on the site?

Kind regards,

Evan

ps. this is what you told me in an earlier post so I expect some guidance from you!

Hi, Evan.

Please post in Billing issues section. Ricardo will pick your thread up and help you to proceed with renewal and downgrade.
www.jomsocial.com/forum/billing-issues

We do not support old version of JomSocial we could only guide you through upgrade and explain issues if you have any.
Please, note that we'll not perform upgrade for you or debug any issues in the process.
We'll back you up with guidance and only post upgrade issues will be debugged and solved.
For any other issues you may need professional developer: www.jomsocial.com/jomsocial-developers
But still to receive such a support you need to have active subscription.

9 years 9 months ago
Licenses:

Hi, Evan.

But everything was explained in our letter to you:

We do not support old version of JomSocial we could only guide you through upgrade and explain issues if you have any.
Please, note that we'll not perform upgrade for you or debug any issues in the process.
We'll back you up with guidance and only post upgrade issues will be debugged and solved.

You have uninstall issue with older version and:

If there is a way of resolving the icons en picts problem without reinstalling 2.8 I would like to know aswell.

Both are not a MIGRATION issues. describe you migration issues and you'll receive guidance in this matter. I can't have a look as we said in letter: "Please, note that we'll not perform upgrade for you or debug any issues in the process."

- Screenshots with the URL visible in them and the problem marked are more than welcome.
- Always provide us with access details to the backend and ftp. We need it to debug problems.
- If you have a similar problem, but a solution you found isn't working, open a new thread instead of 'merging' with an existing one.

9 years 9 months ago
    Topic Author
  • EVAN
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

But you said you can be of guidance in upgrading issues. You didnt specify that it was only when upgrading to the latest version of JS.
And at the end of your text you say for any support I will have to update my license;

"For any other issues you may need professional developer: www.jomsocial.com/jomsocial-developers
But still to receive such a support you need to have active subscription. "

So please be so kind as to help me out. The problems I am having at the moment are compromising my community and may end up costing me users. Later this year I will be upgrading to JS 3. First I want to update my template.

What I have at the moment is a upgrade issue. The help I need I think is the following.
1. How do I uninstall a JS succesfully (Tutorial of some kind)
2. Could someone have a look at the site to see what could have gone wrong so to hint me in the right direccion.

9 years 9 months ago
  • Paul
  • Visitor
  • Thank you received: 0
Licenses:

Hi Evan,

I have had a look at your site form the front end and it looks like there is functions that are only present in Jomsocial 3.2. Have you upgraded to the latest version then tried to roll back? I ask as it is important to know exactly what has been done to advise you how to proceed.

I also found that the URL to administrator is not working and neither is ftp access so we are not able to look at what may be wrong

Without access to admin and the issues you appear to be having i would recommend the first thing is to restore a back from before the upgrade you will at least then have a working site until you sort out the upgrade process, if you have run a very recent version and your site / server is not the minimum spec then the results you may see can be very unpredictable.

I would also recommend you read this article as well documentation.jomsocial.com/wiki/Updatin...d_JomSocial_Versions

9 years 9 months ago
    Topic Author
  • EVAN
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

Hi Paul,

Thank you very much for you answer.

1. What has been done is an upgrade from 2.6 to 2.8. As far as I know I havent tried to upgrade to 3.2.
I did when the security issues arose try to install the patches for 2.6

2. Admin rights; I looked in to it and it works on this side. I can login with the loginname and password I supplied.
Where can I send you this info again?

3. Restore; it would be wise to restore to an earlier backup. I have some questions about that though. One being will I lose info
about new registrations and new items posted on the site?

4. Thanks for the link to the old versions. I have downloaded the ones I need.
There are some usefull information on this page but some are incompleet. For instance the link to iJoomla doesnt bring you
to the extension. "Once that is done, you can download the IJoomla Installer and continue doing the tier upgrade much more easier. "

5. I found a post or link about how to deinstall JS correctly. Because as a novice you would start looking for a extension called JomSocial and not find this. In this post it explained what to deinstall. But I cant find this post nowhere! Can you help me with this?

Thank you very much for you help so far

Greetings

Evan

9 years 9 months ago
Licenses:

Hi, Evan.

JomSocial is called Community or com_community in extensions list.

9 years 9 months ago
    Topic Author
  • EVAN
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

Hi Michal,

Do you have more information then what you just posted?

Greetings,

Eugene

9 years 9 months ago
Licenses:

Hi, Eugene .

I answered your question. On other question we already answered.
But ok, I'll do it again.

Ad. 2. Don't need to send any credentials. Always ad proper credentials to your first post. As I said before: you use outdated and unsupported version of JomSocial. We'll not support nor debug it.

Ad. 3. Yes, if you restore system from backup you'll restore to point when backup was created. All changes or data gathered after safe copy was made will be lost...

Ad. 5. JomSocial is called Community or com_community in extensions list.

To sum things up:

- you use outdated and unsupported version of JomSocial
- we'll not debug nor support your site or upgrade process (as said in email and in posts before)
- we'll answer your question regarding upgrade process
- follow upgrade steps as they are in our documentation
- the goal of upgrade is to reach current version of JomSocial (not to stop in the middle of process as you will stay with unsupported version)

I hope that I put more light to your issue...

9 years 9 months ago
    Topic Author
  • EVAN
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

Hi Michal,

Is it possible for Paul to answer my question? He was the one who gave me (usefull) feedback and on this feedback I
replied in my post. I find you way of answering not helpfull and even a bit unfriendly. I understand that I am not using the latest version of JS etc etc..
I dont want you personally or any other college to do the upgrade for me. Lets have that clear!
What I do want is some support. I am a client, I bought JS in the past, I updated my license, so I want support and I think I am intitled to support. Even if it is on an outdated version of JS.
What I want is to solve the problem I have now with my JS 2.6 -2.8. I think by reinstalling it it will clear most of the problems.
So the help I want is for someone to explain to me how to deinstall JS properly.

Hi Paul,

Could you look at my post. I have some questions.

I realized that the link to the admin is diffrent then the communitylink. How can I send you the right
URL?
What I would like is to get some instruccions on how to deinstall JS properly. If you can take a look at the backend
and give me some insite on whatever strange you come across would be great.
I repeat you dont have to install or modify anything for me. I would just like some backup/support from someone that know JS better then me.

Greetings,

Here my former question or remarks;

1. What has been done is an upgrade from 2.6 to 2.8. As far as I know I havent tried to upgrade to 3.2.
I did, when the security issues arose, try to install the patches for 2.6

2. Admin rights; I looked in to it and it works on this side. I can login with the loginname and password I supplied.
Where can I send you this info again?

3. Restore; it would be wise to restore to an earlier backup. I have some questions about that though. One being will I lose info
about new registrations and new items posted on the site?

4. Thanks for the link to the old versions. I have downloaded the ones I need.
There are some usefull information on this page but some are incompleet. For instance the link to iJoomla doesnt bring you
to the extension. "Once that is done, you can download the IJoomla Installer and continue doing the tier upgrade much more easier. "

5. I found a post or link about how to deinstall JS correctly. Because as a novice you would start looking for a extension called JomSocial and not find this. In this post it explained what to deinstall. But I cant find this post nowhere! Can you help me with this?

Thank you very much for you help so far

9 years 9 months ago
Licenses:

Hi, Eugene.

I apologize if I offended you with my answer.
Maybe it's because i don't fully understand what support you need or what's the issue here...

I passed your thread to Paul by Escalating it. He'll start his shift in next 12 hours...

But if you'll explain your issue, I'll try to help...

So:

1. Do you want to roll back failed upgrade (from JomSocial 2.8 to 2.6) - that's why you ask how to uninstall JomSocial?

2. Do you want to upgrade to current version of JomSocial 3.2.0.7?

3. Do you want a partial upgrade to, lets say JomSocial 2.8?

4. Do you want to fix lost images in JomSocial dashboard?
"If there is a way of resolving the icons en picts problem without reinstalling 2.8 I would like to know aswell."

9 years 9 months ago
    Topic Author
  • EVAN
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired

HI Michal,

Thank you for you response. Apology accepted.

I will try to explain what I would;
So:

1. Do you want to roll back failed upgrade (from JomSocial 2.8 to 2.6) - that's why you ask how to uninstall JomSocial?
evan: I want to deinstall the JS that I have now (it seems like a combination of 2.8 and 2.6) and install a clean 2.8.x.x
If you go to the backend of the site you will see for instance that some icons of the JS Extension dont even show.
At the end I want a working 2.8.x.x ( whatever the last version of 2.8 is)

2. Do you want to upgrade to current version of JomSocial 3.2.0.7?
evan: I would like to upgrade to the latest version of JS. The only reason I dont
do it now is a) because I dont know if I could use the current template. b) I would like to
ask my client to update the whole site and so to make use of the new features of 3.2.
That is why I would like to postpone this to end of this year.

3. Do you want a partial upgrade to, lets say JomSocial 2.8?
evan: I would like a full upgrade to a working JS 2.8. I am having problems with some functionalities that I think will
be resolved with a propore (re)install of 2.8.

4. Do you want to fix lost images in JomSocial dashboard?
"If there is a way of resolving the icons en picts problem without reinstalling 2.8 I would like to know aswell."
evan: Yes I would like to! I think that this problem could be resolved by resinstalling 2.8. But I am open to suggestions.
I you might think there is another reason why this problems ocurre I am all ears.

Thanks in advance!

Greetings,

Evan

9 years 9 months ago
Licenses:

Hi, Evan.

Ok, it's clear now :) You want to do a partial upgrade as you can't go further because of your template that is not available for latest JomSocial release.

1. Let's start with safe copy of your current installation. I suggest to shut down your site for maintenance so no new user will be registered nor new activity or content created.

2. Now try to uninstall JomSocial (data in db should be safe as installer removes only files). Browse to extension manager and try so search for "community". Uninstall all extensions that has "community" in title. Alternatively you could search in the same place for "jom" and check if any extensions pop up with "jomsocial" in title. Uninstall them all too.

3. Now try to install JomSocial 2.8 and check if previous data is visible and if issue persist.
If issue persist... then will try do do something about it.

Support manager agreed to make a exception in rules... only this time and only for this thread ;)

I couldn't check myself in extensions as for some reason backend of your site doesn't load for me...

But what was your ORIGINAL issue so you want to upgrade to 2.8?
"I am having problems with some functionalities that I think will be resolved with a propore (re)install of 2.8."

The following user(s) said Thank You: EVAN
Moderators: Piotr Garasiński