Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Support Forum

Welcome! Support Forums have been reactivated
Welcome the Technical Support section. Help us in assisting you by providing us with a concise and descriptive elaboration of your issues. Be specific and if possible, provide us with a step-by-step instruction in replicating your problem.

Private event notifications - from links you can't open event

8 years 8 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Susan
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 20
Licenses:
JomSocial Expired AdAgency Expired iSEO Expired Socialize Expired

Hi!
ISSUE SUMMARY:
- user x invites user y to a private event ('invitation only', 'hide on list of events')
- user y clicks on link in email notification and sees "Error - Sorry, you don't have permission to see this event. Request Invitation"
- user y clicks on link in global notifications and sees "Error - Sorry, you don't have permission to see this event. Request Invitation"

They do not know when the event is, so they won't respond 'Accept' directly in the global notifications pop up.

[However if user Y goes to All Events, he can see the date, address, and list of attendees (before he says "going"), because he has been invited.] So there is no information on the Event page that User Y cannot see already?

Also I don't know why they are offered 'Request invitation' as Y has an invitation.

STEPS TO REPLICATE:
1 user x sets up private event ('invitation only', 'hide on list of events')
2 user x invites user y
3 user y clicks on link in email => error
4 user y goes to global notifications and clicks on link to see event = >

RESULT "Error - Sorry, you don't have permission to see this event. Request Invitation"
EXPECTED RESULT User Y can visit Event page, see details, write comments, buy tickets. They were invited to the event, and this information is intended for them!

8 years 8 months ago
Licenses:

Hi, Susan.

This issue is similar to one you already reported. but to make sure, could you post printscreen with email to be sure what link you click there?

User that is not an attendee of private event will be not able to see event details.
User that has invitation (and is not an attendee yet) still will have displayed "Request invitation" as this is displayed to every user that is not an attendee.

But I see your point here: how can you accept invitation to an event if you don't know any details about it (except title). There should be sent some event details along with invitation like time and place and additional description. As for now user get only event title what is really vague.

I'll pass your report to Sinisa.

- Instead of saying: 'it's not working', explain the problem in detail.
- Screenshots with the URL visible in them and the problem marked are more than welcome.
- Tell us how to replicate the problem, we can't fix it if we can't find it.
- Make sure that your site/server meets JomSocial System Requirements
- Make sure to setup JomSocial Cron Job
- Always provide us with access details to the backend and ftp. We need it to debug problems.
- If you have a similar problem, but a solution you found isn't working, open a new thread instead of 'merging' with an existing one.

- Use the "Thank You" feature on any post that helped you
8 years 8 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Susan
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:

Hi Michal,

When I reported the issue before I didn't think about the notifications or realise that they wouldn't work......!!

I am attaching screenshots and will edit the first post and put the link in there.

I understand that it is 'designed' by Jomsocial that the user shouldn't see Event Page until they accept the private event invitation? But now I have realised that if user Y goes to 'All Events', he can see the date, address, and list of attendees (before he says "going"), because he has been invited.

So there is not much information on the Event page that User Y cannot see already? What else does the Event Admin need to keep private, if it isn't the address or attendees!!

Also, as Y is invited, he can choose 'Going', he can open the Event, see everything, and then choose 'Not going', without the Event Admin knowing he did that! So the Event Admin is not actually protected from non-attendees seeing any details of the event at all anyway?

As you know, I asked for private events a lot, so I do understand that people want privacy! But I do not understand the level of privacy that you would invite someone to your private party and not want them to see the Event page!

JTicketing - We have an additional problem, which is that we use JTicketing with Jomsocial for paid events. JTicketing is on the Event page. Therefore now we will have the situation that people will not be able to open the Event page to use JTicketing and book tickets to the private event? I don't think JTicketing realise that people can't open private events from the link either.

We are ready to launch our JS 4 site and trying to sort out the last few bugs....

Suggested solution - if you are invited to a private event you can open the Event page without having to say 'Going' first.

Attachments:
8 years 8 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Susan
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:

Thanks for escalating this.

I just wanted to add something else: - you suggested the email notification could have time and place etc in it. That is one idea, but I don't think it is the ideal solution to the problem of the error message - as some people will still click on the link and get the error message, and they will be annoyed they aren't seeing an Event page.

If you really do need to accommodate sites that don't want their invited guests to see a private Event page, can I suggest you add the choice into Theme designer/Events, for the Site Admin to choose yes or no?

Thanks a lot!

8 years 8 months ago
Licenses:

Hi, Susan.

I talked with Sinisa about this and he agreed that this is improvement we should implement in next release. It will be rather displaying event additional information in invitation rather allowing to view private event for not-attendee. Link will be taking to notification to avoid privacy errors.

So I'm preparing improvement card for this issue.

- Screenshots with the URL visible in them and the problem marked are more than welcome.
- Always provide us with access details to the backend and ftp. We need it to debug problems.
- If you have a similar problem, but a solution you found isn't working, open a new thread instead of 'merging' with an existing one.

8 years 8 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Susan
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:

Thanks for the quick response.

But I really can't understand this!! If you are happy to send out the event address details in the event invitation, then why can't that invited guest view the event?!

Please can you explain what is on the Event page that the invited guest shouldn't see until they accept? The guest can accept the event and view the details at any stage? Address, Date, attendees - these call all be seen already!

And what will happen if the guest clicks on the link in the email and notification and still gets 'Error'? We are all going to have Event owners complaining that our site has a bug! The Error message will look rude and be very annoying to the guest. And the Event Owners will reject using our site for private events.

If I believed that doing this would keep the Event Owner's details secret I would understand it. But it won't!!!

Please, please, please can you and Sinisa reconsider this? Thank you very much!

8 years 8 months ago
Licenses:

Hi, Susan.

I don't know how would it work in final release. We took your suggestions, discuss but Sinisa will take final decision.
Just to explain - it's much easier to display new informations in invitation than create exceptions for invited users.
As I explained at another occasion: system is 0 and 1, where 0 is - not-attendee > don't have access, 1 is attendee -> has access. There is no special state or markup of invited users yet.

Users constantly asking us to keep things private as set. So user that don't have access should not see private details.

Please, write directly to Sinisa if you want to get more detailed informations about this planned feature.

8 years 8 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Susan
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:

Ok I will write to Sinisa.

Thanks for your help!

8 years 7 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Susan
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:

Hi Michal,

I communicated with Sinisa about this and he said "As for permission issues, that actually a bug, and i treat it that way. Invited user should be able to see object he's invited in. This is true for both, events and groups."

So I am really hoping you can provide a bug fix for this for us...... We can't wait for 4.1 for a bug fix, as we are launching our new site right now, and we don't want users to have a negative experience if they set up a private party! We won't be rolling out 4.1 for a little while.

I'm hoping you can help!
Thank you very much!

8 years 7 months ago
Licenses:

Hi, Susan.

Ok, I'll report this issue to developers.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Susan
8 years 7 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Susan
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:

Thank you.

8 years 7 months ago
    Topic Author
  • Susan
  • Fresh Boarder
Licenses:

I know you don't like me chasing these bugs.....but this one is not fixed in 4.1 beta and it is pretty important. is there a way of escalating this one so it will be fixed for 4.1 release?

I haven't checked the other Outstanding bugs.....

Thanks a lot for your help

8 years 7 months ago
Licenses:

Hi, Susan.

In opposite, you do a great job huntings those bugs :D
That's correct, this is not fixed yet... it's still in queue.

8 years 7 months ago
Licenses:

Hi, Susan.

We have a fix :) Could you help us to test it?

Please, do safe copy of these files:

ROOT/components/com_community/controllers/groups.php
ROOT/components/com_community/views/events/view.html.php

Then replace original files with patched ones from package.

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: John Andre
Moderators: Piotr Garasiński